I love the markets. The volatility and the endless opportunity. I rarely read the news, I do get sent a great deal of information from fellow traders, friends and business associates. Right now, it’s all about Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency, ICO (Initial Coint Offerings) and Alt Coins. I see a lot of people suffering and jumping in the markets due to Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency & FOMO. For those who don’t know what FOMO is, it stands for fear of missing out. A new age term (as Google put’s it: anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on social media.).
It’s quite fascinating to see, the mental dynamics. No doubt there are many people who have made millions from Bitcoin and other Cryptos. Just have a gander at the Bitcoin chart. If you bought some at the start of the year, and gotten in at about the $800 mark, you would then now be sitting on over 9 fold that (9x! / 900%) call that for yield. It is just under $8000 and who know’s where it will go next.
There are many who have been holding Bitcoin sub $50. You’d be an extremely happy person, if you happened to be one of them. Or even when it first started and the super nerds & geeks jumped on the bitcoin bandwagon, without caring about the price, they purely liked the technology (note the buzz word of the moment – blockchain) and ideology behind it. That’s the reason why it was created – a distributed open ledger, not for investment speculation.
My word of advice to those who want to get into this game are:
- Don’t trade Bitcoin, Crypto’s (or any investment for that matter), out of FOMO. You’re investing with your emotions and out of fear (that’s a killer, right there).. and chasing a trade. Don’t be a Bitcoin FOMO trader.
- If you do opt to trade these, make sure you have damn well done your research and understand what you are getting into (and more importantly how to get out unscathed, if it doesn’t go to plan). Understand the concepts, the workings of these ‘coins’ before trading anything.
- If you are looking at ICOs.. be extremely careful. There are many scams, and if you look at the charts, they have a similarity to “pump & dump” / penny stocks / some IPOs. Don’t get caught on the wrong side.
- For coin storage, please use a ‘Cold Wallet’ / offline wallet and don’t leave it on the Coin Exchange / Online Wallet. Many of these have vanished over night or have been hacked.
- Understand the risks – this is an unregulated market after all.